Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Friday 18 January 2008

Bandipur Sanitation Festival





Yes a sanitation festival, and to me and the other volunteers, a rather bazaar weekend. But fun!

We had all the children lining the streets to welcome 1 lady from UNICEF and what an experience that was. She and her daughter were greeted like a royal family, with flowers, gifts and the children and people lining the streets. Just take a look at the pictures above.

There was a stage and lots of talking, of which I couldn't understand, but in the evening it was great as they had lots of Hindi and Nepali dance music being played and lots of young teenagers dancing on stage. It was a fun night, I was dancing with lots of the kids too, but not on stage. And had many hanging of my arms too!

The main purpose is to try and educate and inform the people about proper sanitation methods and disposal of dirty water and even toilets. Still in Nepal, approximately 40% of Nepali's don't have a toilet and just use the land, a crazy statistic, so things like this are very important. Though sometimes it seems like a lot of talking and not much action, my slightly pessimistic view, but I don't have enough knowledge on this subject, so I can't really make too much of a judgment. Though it was a great photo opportunity! And hopefully made a few people think.

No comments: