Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Friday 18 January 2008

'Keep Bandipur Clean' Update







The Keep Bandipur clean campaign had a few weeks break over the Christmas period, due to exams and Angela and I being on our Trek. But now into the new year it is back into full swing.

You can see from the pictures above our incinerator where the rubbish is burnt, as there are no rubbish collections where we are and no facilities to land fill. So for the meantime they burn their rubbish. Though here in Bandipur, Himalayan encounters have upgraded their incinerator site, a smaller, compact burner for increased temperatures and better burning.

In my last blog, I mentioned the kind donation of 1000 rupees by Andrew from London. Well, that money has been spent on 16 pairs of gloves, so a BIG thank you again for your donation. You can see Angela buying the gloves in a chemist and they are actually post mortem gloves, but that's all we could find, but they are very thick rubber so should last a good time. You can also see the kids waving with their gloves.

We were worried that after the break the kids would be lacking the enthusiasm, but they actually still have enough to turn up, even if some do turn up late, they do make the effort. The one thing here in Nepal is that they don't really grasp the concept of punctuality, well actually I just think they are used to there long lasting culture of being very laid back. It can be frustrating at times, but has helped me get closer to the quote of 'Patience is a virtue'.

Anyway, it's still going well and I'm still attending while I remain in Bandipur and actually last weekend we had a rather bazaar festival, a sanitation festival, I've never heard of one of those before, but yes it did happen here. The next blog is all about it including pictures.

No comments: