Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Friday 18 January 2008

The Happenings in the Computer Class





The computer classes have been going really well and have had their changes over the past 6 weeks. The biggest thing of course is my relationship with the children which has grown considerably and the great thing is how I have such different relationships with them all. Of course, naturally you bond more with some rather than others. And the funny thing is how you relate to the different aged children too, and how I've had to adapt to get the most out of the relationships. But the most important thing of all is trying to make a positive impact in any way I can on their life, whether that be improving their level of English or just giving them the love and attention they deserve, as any child should have. And most of all, what they have given to me is something I shall never forget for life!

I also have some sad news, I am no longer teaching in the computer class because there is no need for me. I was going to continue to help Angela for the next few weeks, as she would be on her own. However, at the last minute, 2 days before her arrival we were told that a new volunteer, Yolee, was coming to take my place, which means that there is no need for me to assist Angela anymore.

The positive thing for me is that I get more time to concentrate on learning the language and doing that admin stuff. The downside is that I'll not be seeing the kids as much anymore, though I'm still keeping up with the rubbish every Wednesday and doing the exercise with the boys!

As for what we've been up to. Apart from the standard trying to teach English with the computers. The methods of teaching have been constantly evolving, especially when Angela came along and now I'm sure they will change with the new volunteer's influence too.

I think what we have learnt so far is that the children lack the confidence in reading and speaking English. Probably due to the teaching methods in the school or maybe for some, just general shyness. But we feel it has been good to introduce as many different ways of getting them to speak, listen, read and write English to improve their comprehension as much as possible. Are we making a difference? I hope so, but I think as long as we and future volunteers show the children and the community that we care and give 100% sincerity to them and do the best we can, then it's all worth the effort whatever the outcome :o)

As for what's else has been happening, if you see the pictures above we've been having some fun too, not all serious English teaching.

The kids loved the balloons, especially the long twisting, making shapes ones. Also, we had fun making various things with the craft materials such as pipe cleaners and fluffy balls. Having creative fun with the kids is so much fun and I think an important way to express themselves, which they don't get at school.

You can even see us working with candle light, when the power cuts occur, which is happening on a regular basis, now up to 6 hours a day. It is ridiculous Ahh! I'll talk about that another time.

No comments: