Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Wednesday 28 November 2007

6 weeks since leaving British soil!




On one hand it feels like time has stood still, then on the other it feels like it's gone very quickly. I think because I have seen and done so much, England feels like a long way away and my mind has been absorbing so much in the past 6 weeks. But I do miss home, my friends and especially my Mum, Dad and big Sis. I'm missing you lots and lots! Xxxx

So where shall I continue?? since I last posted, much has happened. I'm now on my own in Bandipur the other 2 volunteers left over 2 weeks ago and it's just me to hold the fort. I was nervous to begin with, but as the days have passed I've felt more and more at home. My relationship with the people and the kids has grown considerably and they are making me feel part of the family even more and I'm starting to become attached. I have even been given a nickname at the Hotel where I eat, 'Bhok lageyo', which when translated means, 'I'm hungry' and for those of you who know me, you will understand that interpretation :). If there's food I'll eat it!

In terms of where I'm volunteering, things have changed, something I'm becoming part of here in Nepal. It's not good to make long term plans here, the life is just living day to day, which I'm really beginning to enjoy, although still find it hard sometimes, due to my organisational nature, but it's good for me, I'm sure of that.
I am going to stay here in Bandipur for the remainder of my volunteering. You may remember in my last blog I said I'm looking forward to be sent to the other place, Trisuli. However, 2 things have occurred, first, a volunteer who has been their for the past few months is possibly staying their till January, meaning as there is no one replacing me here, then why should I leave, and the second is personal, because since the previous volunteers have left, I've really got my head into things and have set up a completely new teaching structure for the computer class and much more, see the blogs below.

Also, my school teaching schedule has changed. I dropped the teaching in the morning at Thudikel Primary and kept the afternoon Grade 5 at Dill Primary. Though, at the beginning of this week I was on the verge of giving this school up too! I just was not having luck, a lot of the children could not understand me fully and they could not keep attention and misbehaved. I felt so low on Sunday, really down, but on Monday I had a chat with an amazing American woman who was staying in Bandipur, for the second time this year. She gave me inspiration and most of all sincerely listened to me which was what I needed, especially because I'm on my own here with no constant natural English speaking people. I can't have an intimate conversation with one of the locals, because of the cultural and language barrier.

But after that warming chat, I was convinced to give up the school and concentrate on my other bits. But I would do one more lesson and this time I was adamant to have a Nepali teacher with me in the room, so that happened and all was different, I had some extra word games planned to use and because the Nepali teacher was their they were so much better behaved and the lesson was excellent!

What a difference a day can make and today I have started doing a Class 3 (8-10year olds) English, on request of the Nepali teachers. So I have to say a MASSIVE Thank You to Jane for listening to me and being there just when I needed it, I shall come and visit you in California! Or we may even meet in the UK?!

Well, I have written a hell of a lot today plus I have more to write more below, so I hope you are still with me and I look forward to hearing from you guys. Lots of love, the Tall guy! x :)

1 comment:

Big Sis! said...

Hello Lee,

Thats good to see the children with the colouring crayons, I'm glad they enjoy them.

As for you being the only English person, that must be difficult, will you have any volunteers joining you soon or for Christmas?

I will write more at the weekend!

Love Beccaxxxx