Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Wednesday 28 November 2007

Getting and keeping the children fit!!



I have yet added more things for the children I work with to do, this time it involves something I really enjoy, not that I don't enjoy teaching the kids and picking up litter :), and that is, Exercise!!

There is no school or computer classes on Saturday, so I took advantage of this free time and asked if any of the children would like to do some circuit training on Saturdays mornings and the response was pretty good, especially from the teenage boys and we all know why, and is one reason why I decided to start this with them. They don't really get to do any exercise at school, there just aren't the facilities, that is in the local schools. It's a totally different matter for the private schools.

So I've started this activity morning and their eager, those who want to do it, we start at 7:00am. We have only started it last Saturday, but it went very well. We did it on one of the most beautiful spots around Bandipur, with 360 degree views of the Himalayas and surrounding valleys, beats a smelly gym :) You can see 2 pictures above, one with us doing press ups, the other with the boys doing a Tug-of-war, which was great fun.

As Saturday went so well and there are now no computer classes on Wednesday afternoon, I thought I should fill the gap with more activity, which the boys happily agreed with. So we are now training twice a week, no complaints their!

No comments: