Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Wednesday 7 November 2007

Finally volunteering :)






Well I have finally arrived in my first destination the beautiful village of Bandipur situated on a hilltop with a view of the Himalayas(the Annapurnas). I arrived here last Sunday after a great weekend of rafting, which was so much fun. Our guide Dill, the one in the picture above was so much fun and he kept pushing everyone in and in the end we were diving off the raft in between rapids.

My first week has been a great one, luckily there are 2 volunteers already here, so they have showed me what's going on here. The daily schedule is generally as follows. Get up about 6.30am have a cup of tea then opposite where I'm staying is a small room in an old building where there are 2 computers for teaching computing skills with English to some of the local children. It is here at 7.00am I have my first class, young age mixed boys and girls. Then at 8.00am another class of about 6 students mixed but older, in teens. Then between 9-10am I have breakfast and at 10.00am I go to one of the local schools to teach English, one class level 5, 10.15-10.45am, the other level 6, 11-11.45am then break for lunch and at 2.00pm I do an hour teaching at another school. Then 2 hour break and between 5.00-7.00pm 2 more computer classes. Dinner at 7.30pm and bed at 9.00pm.

It's so funny here everything is all shut up by 9pm, they are all in bed, well most that is. On the other hand most people are up between 5-6am.

The kids have a lot of energy and are a mixed bunch but are affectionate, which I think is part of the culture here. I'm starting to bond with a few already, but some of the children I'm working with are not as under privilged as I was expecting. Though it looks like I'm only here for a few weeks and they are sending me to a place where I'm more needed, which sounds good!

The people in the Hotel where I live next to and eat are fantastic and I get on really well with them already. Again all the men are really touchy feely with the men and same with the girls with the girls, but not the girls with the boys. But again I have no problem with that and have fitted in really quickly, so I'm hugging all the guys and stuff, a very friendly ambience.

Well I must go for now, will hopefully be uploading next weekend. Oh before I go, I have to rub it in, but the view is amazing and since I've been here I've not seen the mountains until this morning. The mountains have been hiding behind the clouds for the past 3 weeks, but there was a stoem last night and it rained and the locals said when that happens you get to see the mountains. And this morning at 6am, what a sight, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I walked up a hill at 6 this morning and took the photo of myself, the one you see at the top. So if any of you decide to come to Nepal some time in the future then please visit Bandipur, it's very beautiful, as the locals say...

...Ramro Sunda!!!

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Hello Nepal!!!!
This is johanna and Simone commenting on a blog for the first time ever! We love you and miss you, looks like you're having a great time. Simone is inspired and wants to set up a soup kitchen and Johanna is going to be the head chef.

How are we going to manage without you at our Christmas party?! We'll have to remember and replicate some of your groovy dance moves.

Have you been eating lots of Bhat Dahl and lassis? Is it nice? We ate at the Krishna restaurant yesterday and offered our food to Lord Krishna. No, actually we didn't they did it for us. Johanna was worried about this but Simone reassured her with talk of world religions.

Signing off here - we love you gentle giant, loads of kisses from your Brockley harem. That was Simone - Johanna sends her formal regards. And hugs too. xxxxx XXX

Big Sis! said...

Hello Lee,

Nepal looks beautiful and I really would love to come and see it for real!!! If I had the money I would come and join you for Christmas!

Please let me know where you will be so we can try and contact you or can I leave a video clip on the blog? I have tried to see if there is a way but cant seem to work it out!

Hows the teaching going? do you think there will be a way your children could speak to Kathy's children as they are really intrigued to learn about buddisham (not sure if that is how you spell it).

Well look forward to hearing the next report and take care! lots of love Beccaxxxx

leenepal said...

HI lee i have just read your blog it sounds brillaint al that work you are doing and it sounds as though the kids are having fun and enjoying your new challenges. I am glad they like all the things you sent out and the good work you are doing i am proud of you. Well keep up the good work and even though i miss you very much you are doing an excellent job. Well i cant wait to talk to you next week all our love and miss you loads Ma and PA X X