Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Tuesday 19 February 2008

The Andhimul Project




First, hello again, I've left it another month and then deposited a large number of blogs on you, sorry but that seems to be the way I keep doing it!

We are now already past the middle of Feb, and valentines day's gone :( and I have been over 4 months away from my Mum, Pa, Sis, family & friends, though I know it won't be long before I return to the UK shores.

Where am I now? I've been in Kathmandu the past few weeks learning Nepali, or at least trying, and writing a report and contacting people about a new project I'm working on with others (I'll write about it shortly), and meeting up with some lovely people I met whilst in Bandipur and who live in Kathmandu. One, being a lovely couple from Scotland, James & Libby who have 3 children and have been out here since 2004 and have had a passion for this country for many years, they actually both met here before getting married and returning. The other, being Lily and Anita from Canada & the US, Libby living here for 12 years and Anita for a bit less, and through them I've met their lovely flatmates Steven and Dan. I've already had some tasty meals at theirs! And hopefully another before I return to the UK. And finally, I'm living with a lovely Nepali family here in Kathamndu and eating delicious Dal bhaat with them :o)

What am I going to be doing? Well, this Friday I'm returning to Bandipur to meet up with this lovely, genuine Nepali man who has become my good friend, or I'll say my brother, Mon Bahadur Bhujel. It was through the passion he has for his caste and community that has drawn me to help him and potentially be the start of a long term relationship with Nepal, and to begin this with his community.

I will be doing a longer blog on this project at a later date, but this is just to let you know briefly what my plans are. I'm spending the next 3 weeks researching and getting to know a small village community 12km outside of Bandipur. I will be looking to see how we can help this village to sustain itself, it's very poor, with people struggling to have food on the table, educate their children or even clothe them. Our (Mon's, Angela's, Joli's and whoever else gets involved) aim is to through fundraising, NGO's, universities and more is to give this village a chance to better itself, through teaching new skills, support, and education (especially for the children) and an overall compassionate desire to make a difference!

So therefore, I will be providing all you guys with more details in the coming months of how you maybe able to, in any which way you can, help this community; And just for something to pull on your heart strings, I have attached a few pictures of the local children from the school who desperately need our compassion.

No comments: