Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Tuesday 19 February 2008

Goodbye Angela!





It was that time for goodbyes again, and now it was to be my right hand man, or shall I say woman, Angela :o) After spending almost every day for the last 10 weeks living in the same place, working together, eating together, even sharing the most intimate details about our bodily functions together, sorry I had to get that one in. It was now time to say goodbye!

I first want to say that since having Angela join me in Bandipur I have learnt so much about almost every matter, including my own personal ups and downs. The 2 things that will always stick in my mind, will be her passion for the people of Bandipur and her stubborn determination, that if she had a plan in her head or had been given one, she would do all she could to get it done. Which with the way in which the Nepali culture is, they needed someone like that and Bandipur shore benefited, Dill Primary, with the renovation of the classroom, the renovation of the computer class and the introducing of fun and games to the early learning centre and more.

The learning centre, to put it in Angela’s word "is a place where you can be a right dick, but it's great fun!". And she was right, the few occasions I ventured their were great fun, singing, dancing and being like a kid again and the teachers really did love that enthusiasm and passion she had. You can see from a few of the pictures above at the early learning centre, the parachute was especially great fun.

And of course, like any relationship there were times when we both needed space, because when you are on top of each other (not literally), day after day it get a little much. And when Joli arrived at the beginning of the year, it meant we were not spending as much time together, and it was good for Joli and Angela to build up a relationship as I was no longer a volunteer with GVI.

I want thank you Angela, also for putting your time and efforts into the Andhimul project and hope you will continue to be part of it to help make a difference to this community.

Our final few days was spent in Kathmandu with another volunteer, a lovely, happy young lass from the South West of England, Carol, who had volunteered in Pokhara for 3 months and who is now in a small beautiful place called Nuwarkot, doing great things, helping teaching in the schools and much more. We spent those days buying both, using the lovely donation from Helen and her Morris Dance group, mentioned in the previous blog, books and art materials, and buying clothes for the pre-school children in Andhimul.

You can see the lovely, funky hat Carol and Angela bought me, the day before Angela's departure. It was to add to my collection, of gloves and socks I already had. Thank you!!! People in London next winter will shore see me coming!

Then on the Wednesday morning, the 6th February, I accompanied Angela to the airport, though I wasn’t allowed into the terminal because I wasn’t a passenger, so we had a quick tea, and parted some gifts. She brought me this lovely little book of Gandhi quotes, knowing how much he inspires me and a packet of chocolate biscuits, which is Angela through and through. Another thing I will remember is the constant offering and generosity of chocolate throughout our time here in Nepal, so if I need an extra filling or two I know who to blame it on :o)

We then parted; she went into the terminal and I made my way out of the airports ground. It was hard, because up until that point I was fine, I didn't feel emotional (being both typically me and being a man), but as soon as I was walking away, I knew our time was finished and it hurt, and I was upset, just because of the intensity of the past few months and the great experiences too, never to be forgotten!

So Angela, one day I will take you up on that offer of free lodging and board and visit you, on what sounds like another beautiful part of the world, South Oz, and remember if you come to London, you have a personal tour guide waiting at the steps of your plane :0)

No comments: