Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Monday 18 February 2008

School's Out





On Monday the 28th January, Angela had her last day at Dill Primary school, and as Joli, the other volunteer was away on her trek, I came up to the school to help Angela and to take photos and videos of her last day.

However, a few days previous, the school’s headmaster had asked us both to come up to the main courtyard in school after the last lesson on that Monday. So in class Angela and I did some final singing and dancing with the children, and then made our way to the main courtyard.

So not long after our arrival, all the other school children came out of their classes and gathered, then the teachers brought out a bench and lots of traditional Nepali regalia. Angela and I were unsure what to do and where to go, feeling a little apprehensive, but then after 5 minutes of busy goings on, things settled down and we were both asked over to the bench. Then one by one, each of the teachers began to give us something.

First, was the beautiful Mala, the necklace of flowers, then came various leaves and flowers which were placed into our hands, and that was followed by the traditional Hindu, red Tika, placed on our foreheads. Finally, we were each given a hat, Angela a knitted, yellow and black cap, and I was given a traditional Nepali hat, but as usual my head being larger than the average Nepali, it didn’t fit. But that didn’t matter to me, just receiving a gift from the teachers was special. And I have to admit I have not felt happy and have many criticisms of the teaching methods used in the school (or lack of), and the way they do not have any respect for the children. But I do realize that they are only a bi-product of a failed Government School system and culture, that is in need of a drastic revolution to make a difference, not only for the teachers, but fundamentally the children the future of Nepal!

To finish off this bizarre but lovely experience, one of the teachers got or made (by the look on some of the girls faces) some students to dance for us, while the other students sung and played a Nepali drum. The poor little girls looked cold and not wanting to be their, and there and then, the head female teacher reminded me of the wicked witch of the east, (I’m sure I've seen her with a pet monkey or two! :) It felt like the students were actually munchkins captured by the witch longing to return home, but had been cast under a horrible spell.

Where’s the Lion when you need him!

No comments: