Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Tuesday 23 October 2007

Hello from the Taj Mahal



Thank you for your comment Mum & Bec on the previous blog, I'm missing you guys too, lots of Love.

It's been harder to get to internet here in Agra, but finally had time to get to a place today.

The train journey on Sunday morning was great, better than most trains in the UK. There was air conditioning, lots of leg room and we were fed and watered. Though, looking out of the windows on the journey to Agra wasn't pretty, the poverty's very bad, people living in horrible conditions. The crazy thing here is that money and poverty often live side by side. There can be a house/flat that's looks very middle class and next to it is a 3 metre squared shack housing a whole family of 6.

I can't put any pictures up just yet, not possible in this cafe, but will put them up when I can. I will also try to put up some albums on Facebook or Flickr when I have the time.

I went to the Taj Mahal on Sunday for sunset, wow! what a beautiful building and built in the name of love. You can't really appreciate it until you see it. But the only downside was that there were so many people there you couldn't take it in, I tried pushing on my ears to block out the sound and tried to ignore all the people, worked for a few seconds. But still, a magnificent building.

I also went to Agra fort, which also had some beautiful architecture. But again, the roads here in India are crazy, vehicles, people, animals all going in any which direction they wish. We were waiting at a roundabout for our driver and what we saw just kept us laughing in disbelief. One of the funniest was when a dog stopped in the middle of the roundabout and did a poo whilst the traffic went around him! :) Hopefully I may get some videos up one time.

That's it for now, just before I go I'll let you know I surcome to a Delhi belly, but funny enough not in Delhi. Thank god for Immodium, I'll stay away from the graphic details.

I'll probably won't blog again until Varanasi, which will be on Thurs/Fri. I'm taking the overnight train on Wednesday, I tell you how that goes then!

Hope the weather's not too bad there in England! :o)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Lee,
Glad to hear your are getting on so well. You really sound like you are enjoying yourself. I hope your Delhi Bellie has sorted itself out!

I look forward to seeing your pics of the Taj Mahal when you are able to post them.

I finally recieved my 'acknowledgement of application' yesterday so can really get into interview mode now!!

Take care,
Lisa x

suds&sabs said...

Hi Lee!!

WOW looks like ur having an amazing time, really brings back memories for me! especially ur delhi belly :-( had the same condition LOL!

Hope u are well and becoming an expert at speaking hindi!

take care mate

Sudesh & Sabrina

x x