Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Saturday 27 October 2007

Nepal here I come!




I'm now in my final day at Varanasi and I'm a bit sad, I like it here and have met some really nice people. The hotel I'm staying in has a good ambience and there's a communal area where we can eat, read or chat. Time here has gone too quickly. You can see some of the guys I met in the picture above.

There's something about Varanasi that's special, even with the madness and dirt. There are some amazing little alleys and back streets, but many are full of rubbish and animal manure releasing not the most pleasent of aromas into the air. But there's just something here that makes me want to stay longer. I think one reason has to be the spirituality of the city and its people, which is all down to the Mother Ganges, the reason why millions of Hindu tourists/pilgrims come to Varanasi every year! And there's no doubt I will come here again sometime in the not to distant future and please, anyone is welcome to join me on my voyage, an experience you will not forget :)

On the other hand, this time tomorrow I'll be in another Hindu country. Although not wanting to leave Varanasi, I can't wait to get to Nepal. So, keep an eye on my blog to see how the home of the tallest mountain in the world leaves its mark on my body, mind and soul!!!

2 comments:

Big Sis! said...

HI Lee,

It looks like you are having a ball! That family look so sweet, it reminds me of how they are in Sri Lanka, everything means so much to them even 10 Dollars!!! As you know I am definately up for going to India as it looks fascinating.

The weather here is miserable and Mum and Dad are in Ireland at the moment as its their wedding anniversary tomorrow (I forgot & need to get a card)! Anyway, have a safe journey to Nepal and keep us updated!!!

Lots of love Becca xxx

kathy said...

Dear Lee,
Becca is telling me how to contact you as I hope to get the children at school to see your site and to write to the children you are with in Nepal. Thasnk you for your card. Hope you are having a nice time and get to Nepal safely today.
We are doing Buddhism in RE and it would be great to have photos of what it is like there today. Kathy