Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Thursday 25 October 2007

The Holy Varanasi




I have now comfortably arrived in the holy city of Varanasi after an epic 15, hour 2 train journey. However, the trains were both sleeper trains with air conditioning and very clean. I haven't decided to go it real and hang out in 3rd class just yet, one step at a time :)

My final day in Agra was one of the best, I finally got to experience some real Indian culture. A rickshaw driver approached me on Tuesday as I was leaving my accomodation, and as always asking 'Where can I take you?' As I needed to get into town I said yes to him. And again as usual they try and take you to shops as they get commission and the shops they usually take you to are very expensive. But the driver I had was different, he was honest with me and said, 'I would like to take you to a shop, you don't have to buy anything, but I get 20 rupees(about 30p), just for taking you their'. So because he was honest, I agreed to help him make some money.

I then decided for my final day in Agra(Wednesday), I would ask the rickshaw driver to drive me to see the Taj Mahal from the back of the river and the baby Taj(see picture above). Then after lunch I said to him to take me to lots of shops where I wouldn't buy and he would make money. By late afternoon he had made about 150 rupees, which is very good for him. He kept saying how happy he was, and I had fun looking at expensive items and having the best sales tricks fed to me, always to leave empty handed.

After I had dinner at a restuarant, we went back to my accomodation to pick up my bags for him to take me to the Train station. Before we left I paid him for the days work. and because he was such a nice guy a gave him 1 US dollar each for his wife and 2 sons, who he told me about, and because I liked him so much I gave him a 10 dollar note. He was so happy, he asked if I would like to go and see his family. And of course I said yes. His family were so nice his Dad spoke very good English and they gave me food and drink. His youngest son was fascinated with me, you can see him with me in the picture above. This was the best experience so far, being with an Indian family away from tourists, they were so hospitable.

On my journey to the Train Station Vijay the rickshaw driver said to me 'You are not my friend, you are my brother'. And asked for me to come again to Agra and bring my Mum & Dad and sister and we could stay at his house for free and he would show us Agra, he was so happy, and so was I, it was so nice. So mum, dad and bec's, next year we are going to stay with Vijay in India :)

This blog has gone on far too long, I still have lots to say, but it will have to wait. I hope you are all well and I hope you are enjoying reading so far and big thanks to everyone who have made comments and to just read and see my pics!! :)

P.S. The picture at the very top is in Varanasi looking onto the Ganges, outside my hotel, which is cool, tell more soon...

No comments: