Welcome to my Blog

From here I will be telling and showing everyone what I'm up to whilst travelling through India and volunteering my time with children and local communities in Nepal. Flying out to Delhi on the 17th October and returning from Kolkata on the 6th April 2008.

So come anytime, to see how I'm getting on and read some great stories, view wonderful pictures and maybe some video too... :0)

Thursday 18 October 2007

My First Day in Delhi!


















Well, I have finally left the UK and have firmly landed my feet in India. Good for me that the hotel I'm staying in had a driver pick me up from the station, the culture hits you straight away! The streets are amazing, nobody seems to drive in straight lines, horns constantly hooting and just about anything is on the road, cows included!

It's been hard work, you can't trust anyone, they all try and be your friend and then try and sell you something or take you to a shop or travel agent. You just have to persevere and be polite and they finally move on to someone else.

Trying to get my rail tickets was a mission too, there are so many people at the station telling you to go here or their, of course none of them tell you where you want to go. But I prevailed and found the tourist ticket office and booked my tickets to Agra and Varanasi.

I haven't slept yet, so off for a kip and then get ready for a second day in Delhi, hopefully do some sightseeing!

Here's a few photos for you!

2 comments:

Big Sis! said...

Hi Lee,

I cant believe you have written about day 1 already! It looks fascinating and interesting, how hot is it? You must let me know what the food is like as I am so intrigued.

Ma & Pa are missing you like mad already (of course I am too) but I know how it exciting it must be!!!

Oh well, take care, have fun and enjoy yourself!!
lots of love and kisses

Big Sisxxxxx

Clare said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't think you'd write anything so soon either! I'm really glad you arrived safely and got to the hotel without too much hassle, even if the train ticket expedition turned into a bit of a debacle.

Love the photos too, especially the one with the cow. Umm, do they actually belong to anyone or do they literally just wander around? Actually I think that sounds quite nice - hope they get right of way! I’m having a driving lesson on Saturday and I was becoming reasonably terrified, but now I think I shall remember the cows and count my lucky stars. :-)

Enjoy the rest of your sightseeing – it sounds fabulous!

Clare xx